Tuesday, March 3, 2009

SnoHo

It snowed here yesterday, and this made me pretty happy. Before you get all "What!? How can you be happy about snow at this time of year, it's frigging March!" on me, let me 'splain. The snow was welcome because a) I had a thing to do on campus yesterday - a forum on violence involving me, my fellow fellows, and however many students our faculty sponsors could bludgeon into attending - that I wasn't really feeling up for (headachey, snoozey), and the snow initiated a chain of events that culminated in the postponement of the forum until next week; and b) the Valley's gotten really, really ugly lately - like monster-from-Pan's-Labyrinth ugly - and the fresh snow did a wonderful job of covering up (however briefly) all the crusty, gritty piles of ice and gravel that have accumulated on the lawns and parking lots like so many hideous tumors on an otherwise beautful face. Tumors that get all runny and melty in the sunshine, and that you have to walk through in your boots and end up tracking all over your entryway. Blech.

So it snowed, and the Valley looks pretty once again, and I don't have anything pressing to do until next week. And that means that I was able to go out today during my usual coffee-shop-and-grocery rounds and snap a few photos. They're here. It also means that I had one last (at least I hope it's the last) opportunity to wear my longjohns and my Dick Cheney coat, which meant that I was really quite warm out there while everyone else was freezing, which meant, in turn, that I was able to feel just the tiniest bit superior to all those suckers who weren't as well-layered as I was. And that made me feel even warmer inside. Self-righteousness, I find, is a wonderful cure for the winter blues.

What's a Dick Cheney coat, you ask? It's a big, green, puffy coat that looks like the one our former VP wore to a 2005 ceremony at Auschwitz. This was a fashion faux pas for which he was mercilessly, if briefly, ridiculed, since he looked completely ridiculous alongside the somber, black-clad dignitaries who also gathered for the occasion. As someone pointed out at the time, while everyone else looked (appropriately) like they were going to a funeral, Cheney looked like a guy who was going out to shovel his driveway. It's the one and only time, to my knowledge, that Dick Cheney has ever looked ridiculous in his life, and it fills me with great joy just to think about it. Like I said, self-righteousness is a wonderful cure for the winter blues.

2 comments:

LMB said...

1) Um, the one and ONLY time DC ever looked ridiculous??? Let's roll the Cheney in the wheelchair + cane looking like Old-Man-Potter tape from Obama's inauguration. The green jacket, while ridic., ain't got nothin' on that one....

2) Your use of the term fellow-fellows and your lovely life right now makes me nostalgic for fellowship semesters.

3) Enjoy every moment of post-dociness b/c come fall....well, I'll leave it at that :).

4) I think you should consider twittering.

Mark said...

LMB,

1) True, although I still say he looked more sinister at the inauguration than ridiculous. Old Man Potter was pretty scary, after all, as was the first image that popped into my head on that occasion: Dr Strangelove.

2) Yes, life is quite lovely, and I am surrounded by what are, indeed, jolly good fellows.

3) Au contraire, I expect next year to be just as enjoyable as this year. It's all a matter of time-management, a skill that I'm pretty sure I've mastered. If anything, I expect to have more time on my hands next year than I do at present. Mark my words!

4) I've been tempted, but that is one rabbit hole I'm desperately trying to avoid falling into. See note 3 above re: time management.