Monday, November 10, 2008

Some Surprising Things I've Seen in the Last 24 Hours

1) A young woman with very short-cropped hair walking through NoHo with a long, blue, woolen military jacket like this one over blue tracksuit bottoms like these.

2) A very small man in a very old hat driving a very old black car through the center of NoHo. It felt a bit like a scene from the French Connection.

3) A guy about 10 years younger than me and a woman about 10 years older than me (so ca. 21 and 41, respectively) sitting side-by-side at the Montague Book Mill and flirting outrageously. At one point they appeared to be engaged in an intense discussion about the lady's breasts. It was a bit like a scene from Harold and Maude.

4) A remarkably good, if sometimes painful (but in a good way), film called Rachel Getting Married in which Anne Hathaway, of all people, turns in an astonishing performance as a troubled recovering drug addict attending her sister's wedding. Apart from Hathaway (who easily outshines her earlier career-best performance in The Devil Wears Prada), the movie is noteworthy as the first film successfully to integrate track one from Neil Young's beautiful Harvest Moon album into a wedding sequence.

5) Gigantic, gooey, glorious chocolate cupcakes slathered in mint icing, also encountered at the Montague Book Mill. Not only did I see these items today, I devoured one of them without a hint of guilt. I'm slowly becoming a cupcake convert.

[incidentally, the Montague Book Mill is one of my favorite spots in the Valley. It's a large used bookstore/cafe in an old mill (built in 1842) in Montague, MA, about half an hour north of NoHo (thanks to Lindsay for introducing me to it). It looks a little like this:

]

5) A video of Louis Armstrong and Johnny Cash (two of my all-time favorites) performing a song together in which Armstrong appears to go slightly insane.

6) The following sentence: "So let us not over-egg the pudding." This is my new favorite sentence, and it appears in a typically cantankerous article by Christopher Hitchens over at Slate. Hitchens' adoption of a contrarian position relative to Obama's election is perhaps the least surprising thing I've seen in the last 24 hours.

7) The disappearance of the sun at 4:30 pm. This is the one surprising thing I've seen in the past day that I wish I hadn't seen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back to the book mill! If it weren't so far from here I think I'd move in. I saw Rachel Getting Married this weekend too and thought it was very good. I asked Ben if it made him glad to be an only child.

See you Sunday.

I Like Monkeys said...

I LOVE THE FRENCH CONNECTION!!

I also fear you've gone to the dark-side. What happened to your pie loyalty? What is this cupcake shit, cupcake? Come back!!

I'm all about the cougar thing right now, and if that seems way creepier than I mean it. All I mean is that at the moment I'm okay with the older woman/younger man thing. Maybe a little more 32/22 than 41/21, but whatever.

Nice sentence. Hitchens is a cantankerous prick. But he's an atheist and he loves the English language, so he's definitely readable, and you definitely should not over-egg the pudding.

I played Johnny Cash the other day for my students while they worked in the lab, and it went like this: without Johnny Cash playing = total chaos and people turning away from their computers, spinning in their chairs, talking to each other, and trying to make me laugh. With Johnny Cash playing = everyone focused on their work and getting a prolific amount of research done. Magic.

Almost wanted to give them a cupcake they were so good.